Aidan Turner was born in Dublin.
He had a number of roles in Ireland in stage, film, and television before moving to the UK to take on the starring role of Mitchell in the BBC’s acclaimed Being Human. He played the spellbinding character for three seasons, and over the same period starred in Desperate Romantics and Hattie, both for the BBC. In 2011, director Peter Jackson cast Turner as Kili in New Line Cinema’s adaptation of JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit for which he won Empire’s Rising Star Award.
In 2014 Turner was cast as titular lead in the BBC’s reboot of Poldark. The only actor considered for its charismatic hero, the series ran for 5 seasons and was a huge international hit.
Other key work includes Jim Sheridan’s The Secret Scripture (2015), the BBC’s adaptation of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None (2015); and the independent feature Love Is Blind with Chloe Sevigny and Matthew Broderick. Turner was last on stage starring in Martin McDonagh’s The Lieutenant of Inishmore, for which he won Best West End Debut.
He was named GQ Actor of the Year in 2016 and the Radio Times’ Most Popular UK Actor in 2015 and 2016.
Turner most recently starred as Leonardo da Vinci in Sony’s Leonardo for Amazon, and in World Productions’ The Suspect for ITV. He has just wrapped on Fifteen-Love also for Amazon and is currently rehearsing the play Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, Lemons with Jenna Coleman which will open in the West End in January.
Next year he will be seen in the key role of Andrew in Terrence Malick’s new film, The Last Planet.
- The Suspect Dir: James Strong | Camilla Strøm Henriksen, ITV Legendary Films
- Leonardo Dir: Daniel Percival | Alexis Cahill, Lux Vide/ Amazon
- Poldark Dir: Various, BBC
- The Way of the Wind, Dir: Terrence Malick, Babelsberg Film
- The Man Who Killed Hilter and Then Bigfoot, Dir: Robert D. Krzykowski, Epic Pictures
- The Hobbit Film Series, Dir: Peter Jackson, MGM
- The Lieutenant of Inishmore Dir: Michael Grandage, MGC Westend London